The Berwickshire Naturalists' Club is the oldest continuiously active Club of its kind in the UK.
The Berwickshire 'NATs'
The Club was founded at Grant's House (now Grantshouse) in September 1831 by Dr. George Johnston of Berwick upon Tweed, with the object of 'investigating the natural history and antiquities of Berwickshire and its vicinage'.
Dr. Johnston was the first President and until his death in 1855, he was the moving spirit behind the Club. In Woolmarket, Berwick, the house where he lived is marked by a blue commemorative plaque and there is a memorial to him in the Parish Church.
The main emphasis of the Club's activities is on antiquities and local and natural history expressed through field meetings and lectures throughout the year.
Field meetings are to places of interest between the Forth and the Tyne. where an expert usually gives a talk and helps to show members around.
The Club Badge, depicts a wood sorrel, which was chosen by his friends because it was his favourite flower.
The Motto, Mare et Tellus et quod tegit omnia, Coelum (The Sea and the Land and what covers all, the Heavens)